The warm air is coming with this weekend possibility seeing 60 degrees and it’s that time a year again for Daylight Saving Time to turn the clocks forward. Remember Saturday night before going to bed that you move your clock forward one hour. Also take that time to change the batteries in the smoke alarms and remind your neighbors, family and friends to do the same.
Smoke alarm facts:
* Smoke alarms cut the risk of dying in a reported fire in half
* Each year, nearly 3,000 people die in U.S. home fires
* In more than half of the reported home fires in which the smoke alarms were present but did not operate even though the fire was large enough, batteries were missing or disconnected. Nuisance alarms were the leading reason for disconnected alarms.
* More than half of the smoke alarms found in reported fires and two-thirds of the alarms found in homes with fire deaths were powered by battery only.
* In fires considered large enough to activate a smoke alarm, hard-wired alarms operated 91% of the time; battery-powered smoke alarms operated 75% of the time
If you have any questions, Please contact the Fort Belvoir Fire Marshals office at 703-805-2091